Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a gift....

is such a great thing to receive. i can not get over the fact that i have been given the gift of salvation. i was raised in the truth and my life is a story of how the Lord has redeemed me. this comes to mind about 5 times a day as i hear the call to the mosque in the nearby village. i live on a compound with low fences. i can hear children play in the nearby rice patties...and i often watch them. they watch me very closely in return. the children stop to greet me formally here...and the girls always chuckle after saying nomiskar or hello in bingali. ive never seen such beautiful little kids. ok, i said that in kenya too...children are simply beautiful everywhere.

so like i was saying...i hear the call to the mosque daily and let me tell you...it stirs my soul. a call or song which is supposedly saying things like "ALAH IS THE ONE TRUE GOD AND MOHAMMAD IS HIS DISCIPLE". there are creepy songs also playing. all i can do is pray d hoping that the TRUTH will be shown to these people. as i walk the halls of the hospital...there are muslim and hindu women. i am learning to tell the difference between them. i was able to work with a hindu couple yesterday--she had knee osteoarthritis and he had neck pain. they both spoke some english so i educated them and shared stories. it was an awesome moment...they took to me quickly and are coming back to see me next week. the Lord has been so faithful to open doors so that i am allowed to work with men. we have male and female PT rooms here...and i am allowed to go in and out of both. this AM...i had 4 male patients. all were wonderful to work with. every time i go somewhere....it takes time to adjust to culture...and every time i leave....i am left with the thought that....there are wonderful people all over the world. they are gracious here and want to be seen by me. a man yesterday asked if he could come back today just to be seen by me. humbling.

i am adjusting well...getting over sweating all day and learning to appreciate even the hot days. today i was able to scrub in and watch a C-section....which is AMAZING!! i took some awesome pics for those who arent queasy at the sight of blood. watching the MD pull out this little bundle of life...made my eyes water. also made me want to go back to school...

8 days until my journey takes me to england for one last stop then dallas, texas. i have to be honest...i am looking forward to seeing my mom at the airport more than anything else. familiarity and comfort are 2 luxuries i havent had in 2 months. the Lord has taught me many things and grown my appreciation for my life. He has also burdened my heart with things i have seen here. we are RICH in america. RICH. we have so much to give and each of us is responsible to ask the Lord HOW WE SHOULD GIVE. He certainly has an answer. i pray that i would never forget the poverty i have seen. i pray that i am stirred to prayer and that my affections for the Lord and His truths are also stirred. i struggle with the fact that He is good...even in bangladesh. that He has provided His children here with all they need. i can not process that...knowing i live in abundance. i have NO idea what to do with what i have seen...and when you ask me how i feel about this trip...ill probably give you a blank stare as so much of my heart is trying to find resolution...which i know can simply NOT be found on this earth.

i do know: i serve a GREAT and MIGHTY God that is calling His children into the ministry. whether you are a PT, a teacher, a nurse, a minister or a basketball player...HE IS CALLING. missions are not overseas...they are in your home and next door. our LOVE alone will set us apart. be encouraged that touching just ONE life is enough.

ok ok...that was a moment of vulnerability. back to life here...i am about to give my rehab and gait training seminar here...with a translator. this should be interesting. the people are hungry for knowledge which again, is humbling. i have a gift in my education...that i am responsible to share. and...i love it.

so friends and family--i am off to seize the day. to share, teach, and love on people. you, too, have a day to make the most of. i love you guys...you have no idea how often you come to mind and how BLOWN AWAY i am by GODS GOODNESS.

blessed,

megs <><

2 comments:

Allison said...

Once again I read your post in tears. Quit doing that to me! Your stories create such a stirring in my heart.

Enjoy the rest of your time there and come home safe.

Phyllis said...

At the risk of being that mom who brags on her child (and I do that joyfully on all 3 of my blessings every day); I continue to be humbled by your spirit and writing abilities - they bring tears to my eyes too!

I am so thankful for this journey you are on, and for the staff at LEGS who brought you in to their team. Thank YOU Rick and Karen!

So glad to be part of your life Megs, Love mom