Thursday, June 12, 2008

sweat....

the only word that comes to mind right now. alright, im being dramatic. thankfulness, mercy, and heat also come to mind :) well guys, last i wrote i was about to fly to london and thailand. those days are gone and were a blast. in london, we went to the natural history museum, victoria and albert, walked in hyde park, layed in kensington park, ate good turkish food, ect. in bangkok--we were complete and utter tourists. it was a blast!! we went to all sorts of temples--wait until you see these pics. we ate thai food--nothing like the states, mind you. but my favorite memory of all--was taking a longtail boat tour through the canals where you could see women washing clothes in the water and kids swimming. afterwards...i drank out of a coconut for the 1st time. my life is so rich.

thailand was busy, crowded and i felt like a giant in the land of petite people. the women were beautiful and dressed to the 9s at all time. i felt sloppy as im in clothes for 3rd world countries. i did get to shop a bit for gifts--and jewelry.

now for bangladesh--you guys...this place gives a new definition for heat. i DO have an AC in my room that i have to pay for at the end of the stay...and let me tell you--> ill sell my leather couches at home to have AC here for 2 weeks :)

i was definitely in culture shock upon arrival. here i am in the bangkok airport wearing a lime green (as in a it looks like a highlighter bled on me) muslim womens outfit. many guys my age--obviously america--as am i--stopped and looked at me quite confused. i felt confused to. there is a fine line with feeling like an impostor and being reverent. this for me...is sacrificing my comfort and identity to serve the Lord. i am learning a lot needless to say. so yeah, there are 2 main outfits women wear here. there are NO jeans and t shirts as that is seen as being in your underwear...literally. women wear what i am sporting which is baggy pants and a shirt/dress that goes down to my calf ALONG with a scarf that drapes across the female parts. can you please fathom pants and a scarf when its 100 degrees?? oh yeah--the other is a sari--6 feet of fabric that is wrapped in all sorts of ways to form a dress. they are beautiful--and TOTALLY out of my league.

i get a room to myself here which is exciting. alone time is a necessity. the missionaries on the station are incredibly friendly--most have been here for 8+ years. i watched a movie at a missionaries house last night---with AC on and popcorn. its amazing how the little things are so great here.

tom we head to Coxs Bizaare...the longest strip of beach and YES, i have to wear my outfit there too. no bathing suits allowed. oh wait...forgot to mention there IS a pool here...with specific hours for girls and boys---and i was able to swim today. best feeling ever after sweating in church then going to a local village for tea--inside---with no AC or fan.

so back to the beach--we are going there...BUTTTTTTTTTTTT before that....going to a park where i get to ride an elephant for get ready.......25 cents. yes people, for a quarter a HUGE mammal will bend his/her knee to let me sit on her back!!! im excited. i also forgot to mention i went to a giraffe feeding park my last day in nairobi...and i have the best pic of me putting a small piece of food in my teeth...so that the giraffe would kiss me to eat it. my eyes are squinting closed so tight....basically, i was being a wimp. you try having a HUGE, BLUE slimy tongue coming at your face. what an adventure.

ok--i know this blog has been random...but im dripping sweat and trying to included everything. i have not been into the actual hospital here but as i understand it--i will be working with women mainly as women can not work with men culturally. i am looking forward to meeting the PT aides here...and learning how they practice. i will be giving a rehab and gait training seminar here as well--next week.

please pray: that i would be culturally sensitive as there are mostly muslims and hindus as patients.

that the climate would not prevent me from enjoying myself and loving on the people

that i would have 1 corinthians 13 type of love for them

that i would NOT get sick

that i will not burn out

thank you for your prayers and support--you truly sustain me as brothers and sisters in Christ.

oh and this post is dedicated to helen clark and ashley johnson who have both so kindly reminded me...that i havent blogged lately :) love to you both.

megs

1 comment:

Allison said...

Wow! What an adventure! I can't believe you get to sit on an elephant, wait, that you are GOING to sit on an elephant. You are braver than me, woman! Love you Megs!